Celebrate this elaborate holiday with a Mardi Gras themed party!
Since the early 1700s, Mardi Gras has been a holiday long celebrated in New Orleans when the French first settled there. Today, the city draws people from all around the world for its parades and masquerades. You don’t have to go to Bourbon Street to celebrate Mardi Gras, though.
Even if it’s just for game night with friends and neighbors or a family dinner, you can plan the ultimate New Orleans-authentic Mardi Gras themed party right at home.
Let the good times roll and get your krewe ready for a celebration full of bright colors and elaborate Mardi Gras inspired dishes!
#1: Set The Scene for a Mardi Gras Themed Party
Mardi Gras themed decoration are key to your party. Start planning your mardi gras themed party with these ideas:
- Spruce up any room by using the royal colors associated with Mardi Gras.
- Play New Orleans brass or swing music.
- Cover your table with a centerpiece surround by beads, confetti, balloons, and ribbon.
- Add paper chains to your doorway and try stringing up Mardi Gras-themed lights.
- Don’t forget to set up a make-your-own-mask station with materials like feathers, glitter, faux rhinestones, flowers, sequins.
#2: Feed The Crowd with Mardi Gras Party Food
Use quick and easy recipes to cut down your time in the kitchen, so you have more time to spend with guests.
Start your Mardi Gras party food menu with tried-and-true favorites.
- Po’boys are perfect for a crowd when sliced and served in small portions.
- Another must-have is the infamous king cake and red beans and rice that your guests are sure to love!
It’s no doubt New Orleans is abundant with Creole style cuisine dishes, which are easily adaptable to any party.
#3: Give Out Favors
Mardi Gras themed party favors are still a huge part of any celebration and the perfect gifts.
“Throws,” items for your krewe members can include colorful beads, fleur de lis bottle openers or bottle stoppers, or anything else you can think of to bring in the Mardi Gras revelry.
Take some hints from the biggest krewe in Mardi Gras, the Mystic Krewe of Nyx who throws hand decorated purses, or the Krewe of Pandora who throws decorated boxes. What a better way than to engage your guests, than to let them have an interactive experience by decorating something they can take home!
They don’t have to be a laboring or expensive experience, so complete your party with a fun customized party favors that they’ll love and keep coming back for more.
#4 Play Some Mardi Gras Themed Games
Challenge your guests by testing their knowledge of Mardi Gras with trivia. Create questions about the history, food, and the fun of Mardi Gras.
Some good questions are:
- What’s the English translation of Mardi Gras? (Answer: Fat Tuesday.)
- What are the official colors of Mardi Gras and what do they mean? (Purple for justice, green for faith, and gold for power.)
Also, buy or make your own festive pinata for everyone to take a whack at.
Your family, friends, or neighbors are sure to have big fun while learning about the holiday you’re all celebrating!
Celebrating Mardi Gras your own way makes it fun for everyone involved!